One festival in Thailand that you cannot miss is LOY KRATHONG. Yes, not only Songkran, Thailand have so many religious festivals as well. Loy Krathong mostly celebrated on November. It falls on the night of the twelfth lunar month. The festival it self will be gathering of people around lakes, rivers and canals to pay respects to the goddess of water by releasing beautiful lotus shaped rafts, decorated with candles, incense and flowers onto the water. Used to be releasing lantern to the sky, but most areas have made this restricted.
This festival mostly will be more interesting if you come to Chiang Mai or Sukhothai. And this year, Chiang Mai govt have decided to delay or reroute the flight schedule, so people can fly their lantern to the sky.
But if you stay in Bangkok only, no worries, Loy Krathong also celebrated almost in every corner, especially near Chao Phraya river and public park. And here’s the list for public park in Bangkok where you can attend Loy Krathong on 22 Nov 2018.
1. Lumpini Park, Pathumwan District
2. Chatuchak Park, Chatuchak District
3. Wachirabenchatat Park (Rot Fai Park), Chatuchak District
4. Phra Nakhon Park, Lad Krabang District
5. Her Majesty the Queen’s 60th Birthday Park, Lad Krabang District
6. Saranrom Park, Phra Nakhon District
7. Santichaiprakan Public Park, Phra Nakhon District
8. Public Park in Commemoration of H.M. the King’s 6th Cycle Birthday, Bang Kho Laem District
9. Rommaninat Park, Phra Nakhon District
10. Thonburirom Park, Tung Kru District
11. Seri Thai Park, Bueng Kum District
12. Nawamin Pirom Park, Bueng Kum District
13. Nong Chok Park, Nong ChokDistrict
14. Benchasiri Park, Khlong Toei District
15. Benjakitti Park, Khlong Toei District
16. Bueng Krathiam Park, Min Buri District
17. Wareepirom Park, Minburi District
18. Rattipirom Park, Minburi District
19. Santiphap Park, Ratchathewi District
20. Ram Indra Sports Park, Bang Khen District
21. Rommani Thungsikan Park, Don Mueang District
22. Maha Chakri Sirindhorn’s 50th Birthday Park, Prawet District
23. Wanadharm Park, Prawet District
24. Thawiwanarom Park, Thawi Watthana District
25. Suan Luang Rama VIII Park, Bang Phlat District
26. Bueng Nam Lat Phrao Public Park, Lat Phrao District
27. Sirindhra Botanical Garden, Bangkok Noi
28. Public Park in Commemoration of H.M. the King’s 80 Birthday, Bangkok Noi District
29. Public Park in Commemoration of H.M. the King’s 80 Birthday, Sathon District
30. Wareepirom Park, Khlong Sam Wa District
So, don’t forget to join this event when you’re in Bangkok. If you stay in central Bangkok, visit Lumpini Park (MRT to Sala Daeng and Lumpini station, or BTS to Ratchadamri station) or Benjakiti park (MRT Sukhumvit or BTS Asoke) to experience unique festival that you can have only in Thailand. Buy the “Krathong” from the sellers around park for 20 – 80 Baht if you wanna join the ritual as well.
Take note as well that the festival mostly will start around 6PM. So better come early to save your spot!
Happy let’s get lost!!