Kanchanaburi is another option to enjoy Thailand nature, that is not too far from Bangkok. If you’re getting bored with traveling to beach area, Kanchanaburi is your best place. Offering not only its beautiful nature, but also quiet place to refresh your mind from crowded Bangkok.
Distance from Bangkok is less than 150km. The same distance like you’re going to Pattaya.
1. If you don’t have any car, bus and van are available to get from Mochit bus station. The most expensive ticket is around 100 – 150 Baht.
There’s also from Khaosan Rd, usually you can see the sign at local travel agent there. Unfortunately we have no idea about the ticket price.
2. Train from Thonburi train station, will cost you around 100 Baht. First train will depart at 7.50AM and the last train at around 1PM.
What’s good to see and do
Arrived at bus terminal or train station, first you need to get vehicle to go around the city. Ask the motorcycle taxi to take you to rent motorcycle shop. Or, you can do this by asking the hotel you stay. Motorcycle rent is about 200 – 300 Baht.
1. Have lunch at restaurant beside the Bridge over River Kwai.
The famous bridge in Kanchanaburi that is used by the train that takes you from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. Beside the view of the river and bridge, you can also enjoy great Thailand foods in this restaurant.
Walking through the bridge also is one thing to do. But beware, as sometime the train will passing by that bridge as well
2. Erawan National Park
Located around 50KM from Kanchanaburi, Erawan waterfalls is one of the most beautiful waterfall in Thailand. You can actually take the bus from the bus station, but it’s easier and comfy taking motorcycle going to this place.
There are 7 tiers, so make sure you eat a lot before starting your adventure. How beauty? Please take a look at the images we attached, and you will know.
Since this place is huge, we strongly recommend to start the trip in the morning. Also they will start to forbid any visitor to enter at 4PM
Entrance fee is 400 Baht per person now.
Business hour: 7AM – 4.30PM everyday
3. Finish with the waterfalls, let’s continue the trip higher to Srinagarind Dam. Go out from the park, take your vehicle and go straight up to reach this dam. Less than 6KM from Erawan National park, so it will be worth your time to visit it.
It’s one huge dam that mostly used for Electric power generation. You can enjoy the view, but usually the army soldier who guard the place will ask you to leave around 6/7PM
4. Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.
Well, this place is located in the center of the city, so you can’t miss it while traveling around. A final resting place for almost 7000 soldiers who died during the construction of the Death Railway to Burma.
If you just love to see nature and desperate to find some quite place to refresh your mind, then Kanchanaburi is your best option. Spend the weekend by enjoying those waterfalls, and back to BKK with fresh mind.
Happy let’s get lost!! 🙂